Last updated: 20 November 2009
If we make any significant changes to this policy, we will notify you by posting a notice of such changes on the login page.
We care deeply about protecting your privacy. Please send us any questions and/or comments you may have.
- We will never spam you or give your personal information to anyone.
- You can control what messages we send to you.
- You can control what details other users can see about you.
What information do we collect?
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
- Information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (including your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views);
- Information relating to any transactions carried out between you and us on or in relation to this website, including information relating to any purchases you make of our goods or services;
- Information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering with us, including your email address;
- Information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our website services, email notifications and/or newsletters;
- Information that you provide to us in chat messages (including messages in game, public and private conversations);
- Any other information that you choose to send to us.
How we treat your information
We will never spam you.
We do send information related to the service that we believe you will find useful, but you can opt out of receiving these updates.
We do send one off emails in the following circumstances:
- When a user shares a game;
- When a user invites you to join ChessCube.
If you receive one of these emails it does not mean that you are subscribed to our service or any further communications.
We may also use your personal information to:
- administer the website;
- improve your browsing experience by personalising the website;
- enable your use of the services available on the website;
- send to you goods purchased via the website, and supply to you services purchased via the website;
- send statements and invoices to you, and collect payments from you;
- send you general (non-marketing) commercial communications;
- send you email notifications which you have specifically requested;
- send to you marketing communications relating to our business which we think may be of interest to you by email or similar technology (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications);
- provide third parties with statistical information about our users and user habits - this information will not be used to identify any individual user;
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website.
Where you submit personal information for publication on our website, we will publish and otherwise use that information in accordance with the license you grant to us.
You are able to manage what personal information other registered users of the website can access by adjusting the settings on your profile.
You are able to register to use our web services using Facebook. When registering using Facebook, you are able to select what information you will share with us. You can update these settings any time in your Facebook profile.
We will not without your express consent provide your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
We will never disclose your personal information without your permission.
We will never sell, rent or share your personal information with a 3rd party, especially your email addresses and phone numbers, without your express permission, unless required by law. Never ever!
Cookies and log files
A cookie consists of information sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
We use both "session" cookies and "persistent" cookies on the website. We use the session cookies to keep track of you whilst you navigate the website. We use the persistent cookies to enable our website to recognise you when you visit.
Session cookies will be deleted from your computer when you close your browser. Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach a specified expiry date.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. (For example, in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking "Tools", "Internet Options", "Privacy", and selecting "Block all cookies" using the sliding selector.) This will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites, including this one.
As is done with most web sites, we log each visit to each web page. A log entry can contain information typically found in the "header" of your web browser's request such as the browser type you used, your Internet Protocol address, and the date and time of day. We may also log your cookie's identification number and the URL of the last site you visited. This log information is important for security, audit, quality improvement, as well as for monitoring the health of our service.
Managing your information
You can manage the information you share with us and with other users of the service.
You can unsubscribe from email messages about the service by updating your subscriber preferences. Note that sometimes we may need to send you notifications by email whether you have selected to receive email messages from us or not.
When you log in to the service, you can use the settings options on your profile to manage the information you make visible to other users of the service.
You can also manage notifications received on Facebook either within the application or through your privacy settings on Facebook.
Note that sometimes limiting the data you make available can have an adverse effect on your enjoyment of the service.
In addition, we may disclose information about you:
- to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk); and
- to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset which we are (or are contemplating) selling.
International data transfers
In addition, personal information that you submit for publication on the website will be published on the Internet and may be available, via the Internet, around the world.
You expressly agree to such transfers of personal information.
Children under the age of thirteen (13) years
We are concerned about the safety and privacy of all our users, particularly children. For this reason, parents or guardians of children under the age of 13 who wish to allow their children access to the Service must create an account that is maintained by a legal guardian of at least 18 years old and monitor the child's usage. By allowing a child access to your account, you also give your child permission to access all areas of the Service. Please remember that the Service is designed to appeal to a broad audience. Accordingly, as the legal guardian, it is your responsibility to determine whether any of the Service areas and/or Content are appropriate for your child.
Security of your personal data
Protecting your personal data is important to us. We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall- protected) servers. All electronic payment transactions you make to us will be encrypted using SSL technology.
All chat messages are not encrypted and could possibly be intercepted by a third-party over the internet. You are strongly cautioned not to share sensitive personal information on our site. We do not actively monitor all chat messages, but these will be captured and brought to out attention if a user reports you or another chat participant via our abuse facility.
Just a reminder: data transmission over the Internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the Internet.
You are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential. We will never ask you for your password.
Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you. Provision of such information may be subject to the payment of a fee (currently fixed at US$ 20.00).
You may instruct us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes by email at any time. (In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal data for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of the use of your personal data for marketing purposes.)
Please let us know if the personal information that we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.