Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:02 pm

My opponent made an illegal move

When a user reports illegal moves, usual explanations for move problems are:

En passant:
If the move involved his pawns, he likely played a special pawn move called "en passant" which allows a pawn to take another pawn even if it is not directly attacking it (see; it is not a bug or cheating.

If the move involved his rooks, he played a move called "castling" (which is shown by 0-0 or 0-0-0 in the notation, and involves the King moving 2 squares toward the Rook, and the Rook moving to the other side of the king - all in one move). See for more information.

Pawn Promotion:
If a pawn makes it all the way to the opposite side of the board, the player can choose to create a knight, bishop, rook or queen. This is called promotion. See for more information.

Discovered check:
Sometimes you cannot move what you want to because your king is in check - make sure that nothing is attacking your king! See for more information.
If none of these explain the illegal move, you may have found a bug. Please send us the game:
1. Click on your avatar, then "My Games";
2. Navigate to the game with the illegal move;
3. Click on the Send Game to a Friend button;
4. Add [email protected] as the email address to send to;
5. Describe what happened, including move number in the message section;
6. Click on Send.

Feel free to post any comments or suggestions in this thread. All content will be monitored by the Community and Moderators.

If you like, you can buy me a coffee for my next break. Donate BTC as a thanks for this post - it goes a long way! :)
BTC: 191ACTu2QfrKuVMuPsEEkebSJm6yYgWS8k