FAQ

Potential Dropped packets?

<<

sweeney

Pawn

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Potential Dropped packets?

Hi Guys,

The most frequent problem I have is when I'm trying to play, is when my myself girlfriend is downloading a video from her laptop at the same time I'm playing, putting extra load on the home wireless network. The game starts fine, but the further into the game it goes, the more likely I believe a packet gets lost, effecting gameplay. I can sit there and wait for an opponent to make a move which wont arrive and my time appears fine while his runs downn. If I refresh my browser, the system shows my time to have lost a minute or however long its taken for me to refresh my browser, while the opponent made an instant move. If I dont refresh my browser, opponent will lose on time, game gets checked on server and I win.

Only explanation I have is that a packet got lost along the way. The work around is to ask gf to stop downloading the latest soap, which is not good for keeping the peace. If you cannot replicate the problem, I can take snapshots next time I'm home for evidence. Home connection is 50Mbps, windows7, I've tried using various browsers, problem still occurs.

Cheers
sweeney
ChessCube PLAYERS MATE IN OBSCURE POSITIONS
Get the T-Shirt here http://www.cafepress.co.uk/ChessCube.550862183
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Potential Dropped packets?

Dear Sweeney,

It is as you say, you lose a lot of packages, it seems to be getting corrected but a lot of new bugs come up. Sometimes there you get a bug that makes you lose around 20-30 secs which can be a pain at bullet games. It is as you say the only option is to reconnect to chesscube by refreshing since it seems that it can't be solved easily.

More information about this matter on: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1571

Regards Xabier.
<<

sweeney

Pawn

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:58 am

Cheers Xabier, I searched for dropped and packets and found nothing. This was the one I was looking for. I'm more of a 5 minute player, so opponent loosing on time isnt as often. I would still say the error is a function of load, so stop file sharing programs and downloading things if the problem persists.
ChessCube PLAYERS MATE IN OBSCURE POSITIONS
Get the T-Shirt here http://www.cafepress.co.uk/ChessCube.550862183
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:37 pm

Dear Sweeney,

I am not really that sure about file downloading programs and so on, since I have found myself that I get lower chances of massive lag strokes if I play while downloading via emule or via torrent, since it make that your connectablity always stable. Although it goes slower it has more stability.

Maybe if it is as in your case within two pcs sharing a wifi it is more unstable than just a pc downloading.

Regards Xabier.

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages