FAQ

time control

<<

elderofnight

Pawn

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 am

time control

Is it possible to add a time seal, or other method to fairly measure time?

I am on a satellite internet connection, which has considerable lag. in a one minute game, I loose almost 2 seconds per turn.

my lag is anywhere from 1500ms to 2500ms at any given time.

If is is not possible to correct this, so that both players have equal playing time, then please make more tournaments that are 3 and 5 minutes.

Because it is not possible for me to play 1 minute games on this website due to no compensation for lag.

I can play 1 minute on other websites that have chess, so I think this should be fixed, or at least some more tournaments at 5 minutes, since it is not any measurement of chess skill when it comes down to who has the faster internet connection with the lowest ping.
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:15 am

Re: time control

Good evening,

elderofnight wrote:Is it possible to add a time seal, or other method to fairly measure time?

I am on a satellite internet connection, which has considerable lag. in a one minute game, I loose almost 2 seconds per turn.

my lag is anywhere from 1500ms to 2500ms at any given time.

Because it is not possible for me to play 1 minute games on this website due to no compensation for lag.

There is 2 secs lag compensation every move. Look here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35 and it is much worse for everyone if you have that considerable lag and you try to play 1 min games, it can get for ever with the premove.

elderofnight wrote:If is is not possible to correct this, so that both players have equal playing time, then please make more tournaments that are 3 and 5 minutes.

There are some 5 mins tournaments and there is always the blitz S&G's at 3 min tournaments every now very popular in the site. I suggest you to premove a lot, premoving = having the move on red, even with 2.5 secs lag you should be able to make 120 moves without too much trouble and since few games get over 120 move per player, 240 moves in total, I suppose that is enough.

elderofnight wrote:I can play 1 minute on other websites that have chess, so I think this should be fixed, or at least some more tournaments at 5 minutes, since it is not any measurement of chess skill when it comes down to who has the faster internet connection with the lowest ping.

If you say so... I have played in yahoo and in other sites, like buho21 and I have got my longest move list in 1 min here where you can premove. No matter how fast I move at yahoo I cannot get more than 60 moves per min and at buho21 I think that my max was around 80, whilst at chesscube I can make 100+ without too much trouble. I mean, in this other sites your time goes down even more faster than at chesscube.

Regards Xabier.

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages