FAQ

Blindfold Chess

<<

clicentia

Pawn

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Blindfold Chess

Hi guys, I want to learn how to play blindfold chess, so I'm asking for some tips. Those people of you that can actually do it, in your mind do you actually visualise exact colours (eg. black&white squares of the board and colours of pieces) and shape of the pieces, or do you visualise it in a more abstract way? For example do you visualise it like on an actual 3d board, or do you visualise how you would see it on the computer? I think it won't be the same for each one, but I'm still interested in how other people do it. thanks in advance
<<

johncenaa

Rook

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Blindfold Chess

i well let you learn....Please see this link>>>>> http://tiny.cc/wdsfj
Learn Chess From GrandMaster - http://rcaofficialpartner.blogspot.com/ . I teach beginners at chesscube.If you have any questions please contact me..!!Here is my website here and my youtube chess channel here
<<

clicentia

Pawn

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:45 am

I didn't really find you online john, in order to coach me, so I'd like to request that anyone that reads this post and can give an answer please do so. I did ask some other people as well who gave me good answers but they weren't what I really wanted to see, since their method of playing blindfold chess was a bit abstract. I've found that many grandmasters have played simultaneous blindfold games against 10 opponents or so (one grandmaster was against over 50 opponents), and I can only think that they have exact pictures of the whole board in their mind, otherwise how would it be possible to remember all these positions for so long?
<<

clicentia

Pawn

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:38 pm

After a long research on the topic, I've come to answer my own question, mainly after reading part of the book "Blindfold Chess" by Hearst&Knott on:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lv8KNu ... &q&f=false

I'll quote some findings (page 179 onwards):

1. "Most of Binet's (a psychologist that made extensive research on blindfold chess) subjects(blindfold chess players) insisted that, when playing blindfold chess, they were unaware of the colours of the pieces and squares, or even the shapes of the pieces."

2. "For the expert blindfold player an entire game is not a sequence of disconnected moves, but a series of interrelated, characteristic manoeuvres and themes."

3. Stanislaus Sittenfeld blindfold representation of the actual game position on page 181

4. "A good player must not concern himself with the colours of the squares or the shapes of the pieces, but with their powers."

5. "Only one part part of the position changes at a time, so that not everything has to be reviewed at any particular move"

Of course I suggest that you read most of that chapter, or even all of the book if you want, if you too are interested in blindfold chess.
<<

aswath_97

Pawn

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:38 pm

hi i have played with blind fold chess players.but its difficult to play .i really congradulate them :clap:
<<

uncoordinated

Pawn

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:31 pm

clicentia wrote:Hi guys, I want to learn how to play blindfold chess, so I'm asking for some tips. Those people of you that can actually do it, in your mind do you actually visualise exact colours (eg. black&white squares of the board and colours of pieces) and shape of the pieces, or do you visualise it in a more abstract way? For example do you visualise it like on an actual 3d board, or do you visualise how you would see it on the computer? I think it won't be the same for each one, but I'm still interested in how other people do it. thanks in advance

you have a chess board printed inside the blindfold!
<<

knightattack

Queen

Post Sat May 05, 2012 6:57 am

Blindfold Chess

Blindfold chess (also known as sans voir) is a form of chess play wherein the players do not see the positions of the pieces or touch them. This forces players to maintain a mental model of the positions of the pieces. Moves are communicated via a recognized chess notation...
Blindfold chess was considered miraculous for centuries, but it is now accepted that any strong player today can play blindfolded, and many can keep track of more than one simultaneous blindfolded game.In simultaneous blindfold play, an intermediary usually relays the moves between the players...
To Know More about
blindfold chess>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindfold_chess
http://www.thechessworld.com/learn-ches ... fold-chess

To play blindfold chess, you must first familiarize yourself with algebraic chess notation. The algebraic notation is the most common way to note and keep track of all 32 pieces on the 64-squares chessboard. Playing chess online is also a useful tool for those who are interested in improving their visualization abilities

Check These videos also..

KnightAttck
If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it..Learn to smile at every situation..See it as an opportunity to prove your strength and ability...Live Hard Live Your Dream
KnightAttack

Return to General Chess Discussion