Post Sat May 26, 2012 1:44 am

Wasn't sure where to put this - Of Queens and Knights.

I understand the basics of chess - how the pieces move, point values, etc. I think I'm fairly decent at the game, but I was watching a 2.6k Elo versus a 2.7k Elo in a 10 sec + 1 game, and something came up that really confused me.

White had Queen on D1, Rook on F1 protecting F2, and king on G1. Black had knight on G4. D2, E2, and F2 were all open. There was a White Rook on A1, and the rest of the back file was open. I don't remember the rest of the position, but none of those four squares were being attacked by any other piece but the ones mentioned.

Black moved Ng2, and White immediately played Qd2. I understand that if Nf2 were played, the queen would be under attack - but there was Rxf2 if Nf2 was played (as well a Kxf2, but I don't think that would be likely). Qd2 was not necessary specifically to keep the Queen alive.

So my question is this. Why was Qd2 played? Was it specifically development related - getting the Queen out of the way of the rooks, and protecting F2 thrice? I know it's a bit harder to answer without the full board (if not impossible), but could someone try and help a newbie out? :).