FAQ

First thing to learn?

<<

thechemist

Pawn

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:40 pm

First thing to learn?

Ive played chess alittle off and on since i was a kid altough nothing serious. Ive been wanting to start playing again and get a little more serious about it. I was wondering what people think the first steps to learning a good chess game is? Im not really sure the best place to begin other than just playing and playing. Should I be learning opening moves or something else? Possibly a good book?
<<

isam2k

Pawn

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:12 pm

Re: First thing to learn?

I think the best way to get into chess is joining a chess club. Its very good to start methodically right from the beginning. Unless you're very gifted, I don't think you'll get far just by playing (online) games.

When joining a chessclub people will suggest you the right books to read and you will get a good insight on other players training methods and way of thinking.
<<

serpderp

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:37 am

The first thing you should learn is how all the pieces move. Then you should learn about castling, en passants, and stalemate rules.
<<

art_of_derp

Pawn

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:07 am

Learn the language by buying a book and watching a lot of ChessNetwork's YouTube videos. And play, play, play. 15 or 20 min games. Give yourself time to think.

Return to Beginner's Corner