FAQ

Abusive users

<<

Sean

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Abusive users

Support personnel and ChessCube Moderators will take a look at the chat or chat history and will, where necessary, warn or ban abusive users.

If you don’t want to read messages from the abusive user, you can select to ignore or block them.

Alternatively, if you wish to ignore all chat on ChessCube, you can turn off it by going into your settings, clicking on the "Community" tab, and choosing the "off" setting at "Disable chat".

You may also contact a Moderator to come to your game or the chat room, and to view the abuse. If the abuse is in a language other than English, or in another than one the Moderator understands, please provide an accurate translation.

Feel free to post any chat/abuse comments or suggestions in this thread. All content will be monitored by the Community and Moderators.

Thanks,
-Sean
<<

pzlatsim

Pawn

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Abusive users

We would also want to know what you do about the users we report.
<<

rrancho

Pawn

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:08 pm

pzlatsim wrote:We would also want to know what you do about the users we report.

The chesscube staff reads the report ,checks if true and then takes the necessary action
The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed
<<

xerxes91

Pawn

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Can users be banned for what they are saying before/in or after game? There are so many people that are terrible losers here and I dont know how many death threats etc that ive gotten for beating people. I sure hope they are getting banned and not just muted.
On the site I am administrator on we would NEVER tolerate a member saying things like that to another and that would immediately lead to a ban for this member (probably for a very long time).
<<

ihateu2

Pawn

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:10 pm

I am currently having a flash issue so I dropped into a chat room and asked a question. Next thing I know a mod drcheck is asking me about playing another member and intentionally loosing. What happened was prob gotupset that he may have lost 3 in a row and got frustrated and threw a couple games to prove its just a gameand losing ain't no big thang but a chicken Wang. Mods need to go get a voting system to ban people.

post edited by sansen
<<

jrcharousek

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:15 pm

I would suggest that abusive language should be given one warning then a ban. Plus I believe that the complainer should receive details of action taken, regardless of whether they are a VIP user or not. It is not only VIPs who are entitled to protection against abusers!
<<

hrobert25

Pawn

Post Thu May 10, 2012 11:28 am

I entirely agree with the user jrcharousek above.

My feeling is that CheesCube is quite relaxed when it comes to abusive users. We can see almost daily messages that this or that user was banned for cheating, but I haven't seen anything alike when it comes to abuse/insult.

Given that I have to deal with insults regularly and I also report them all, but then sometimes I met the same people again (and of course get abused again), it seems to me that for the administrators having a large number of users has precedence over the quality of the community.

Yesterday for example, a 19-year old girl was typing things like idiot, !@#*, f*ck off... This finally led me to turn off the chats (only after a year of membership). I feel sorry for the cool chats I'm gonna miss now, but those were anyhow very rare.

So the point is, dear administrators, we would like to see some measures taken, because the quality of this community is getting seriously deteriorated.
<<

ladislaver

Pawn

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18 am

How about saying that China is Philippines !@#* and !@#* China in beginning of the game? I have been called fag, child molester while attending mods did nothing. I am American living in China and grateful that this site is not banned in China, thus allowing me to play game I love. I think that ChessCube is not relaxed, but simply don’t care. Too bad that I have 180K cubits; otherwise I would leave this site. I play on Chess.com and I have never been abused there. I am not sure what is bringing this type of users here, perhaps the fact that they can get away with it and they know it. Sometimes, if I complain in one of the chat rooms to mod, I have been poked fun at by the mod.
<<

mabin

Pawn

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38 pm

then you should report the mod who made fun of you. :-d
<<

onthe1

Pawn

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:40 am

I'll briefly relay my terrible experience with chesscube here, despite the fact that I probably won't play on chesscube any more. I hadn't been to chesscube in several months before today. A large part of the reason why is because of too much trolling, and mostly by people who are members of chesscube. Mods may be less willing to ban someone who is a paying member, but there must be something they can do. Maybe a ban from a particular chat room or some sort of deduction of privileges is in order. Also, you may think that it's economically unsound to take sides with someone who is not a paying member, but know this: I for one won't consider paying for a membership as long as this goes on, and usually when there are several people having a problem, there are many. A look at the comments made in this thread before mine indicates it’s a trend. So I suspect it's not even economically sound to make that kind of decision.

Anyway, today I tried chesscube again. I had a pleasant game and even a good discussion with someone from another country who I was autopaired with. I even commented in the philosophy and politics room what a good experience this was, to be able to have a good discussion with someone with a different perspective, all through playing a game of chess online. But then a little bit later someone comes in and starts expounding on how 90% of the world's population should be exterminated. This was the philosophy and politics room still, and as I believe in free speech I have no problem with someone saying this for the purpose of starting a debate. But this user, named CygnusSwan, then goes on with insulting everyone who attempts to discuss this idea with them, including myself, without any provocation whatsoever. I just checked and that person is a paying user. I did report it. We'll see. This time it even belongs under the category of intolerance and hatred, or whatever that category is called on the report abuse form. Assuming mods can and do actually go back and read older chat logs as chesscube claims, the record makes very clear what happened.

In the interest of fairness, I'll try and add another reply here if I actually get an email back from chesscube indicating that action has been taken, but since I'm not a paying member, the auto-response email I did get indicates, as I understand it, that I won't get a personal response unless chesscube requires more information. Until then, I'll be playing on other chess sites.
Next

Return to ChessCube Knowledge Base