FAQ

Aborting because of ignorance of 960

<<

m-lyon-c

Pawn

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:33 am

Aborting because of ignorance of 960

Lets make a way to solve this problem of multiple and frequent game aborting, specifically because people dont know what 960 is, or that the upside-down triangle is not a standard game seek. The mistaken acceptance of 960 seeks gets really out of control. what can be done to solve or at least minimize this - ? Can there be a 960 only seek list and/or graph?
<<

talapia

Pawn

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Re: Aborting because of ignorance of 960

m-lyon-c wrote:Lets make a way to solve this problem of multiple and frequent game aborting, specifically because people dont know what 960 is, or that the upside-down triangle is not a standard game seek. The mistaken acceptance of 960 seeks gets really out of control. what can be done to solve or at least minimize this - ? Can there be a 960 only seek list and/or graph?

About 85% of all players abort chess960 games because they do not know what it is. In order to reduce the number of aborts, I have blocked about a hundred players, and the number daily increases, due to their aborting a chess960 game. This is a problem that has the potential to make chesscube un-usable for me in the long run. I don't like blocking players just because of an honest mistake but on the other hand I don't like wasting time on aborted games either.

Here is my suggestion for the developer(s):

Have an option in Settings where players can proactively opt-in to search for chess960 games. By default this should be OFF, because it is clear that most players want to play traditional chess. If a player opts in, then they are clued in to the symbol that represents chess960 games. There should be a brief explanation somewhere about what chess960 is all about. I don't think this would take TOO much time on the developer's side, but it would eliminate a lot of heartburn for a lot of players.

Return to ChessCube Knowledge Base