FAQ

ChessCube Ratings

<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: ChessCube Ratings

Good day,

I am quite sure he was a provi, if he is a provi while your K factor is 24 his K factor is still 50 thus he will win lose nearly double you do.

Regards Xabier.
<<

satyamdahiwal

Pawn

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 pm

:dance: :dance: :happy-bouncycyan: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :happy-jumpeveryone:
<<

geniegp7

Pawn

Post Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:49 pm

the rating floor is it also valid for the tournaments ? The rating-floor may decrease if no new achieved its maximum ?
<<

Sansen

Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:18 pm

geniegp7 wrote:the rating floor is it also valid for the tournaments ? The rating-floor may decrease if no new achieved its maximum ?

Yes its valid for tournaments
I sometimes drift over this way,, but not very often
<<

thatjimguy

Pawn

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:08 am

xabichess wrote:Good evening,

The rating floor is your max rating - 200 rounded low. This means that if you have achieved 1800 points you won't be able to get to 1600 less rating even if you lose, even if you get to 1899 points your floor rating is still 1600.

Another point is that the max floor rating is 2200. Even if you achieve a rating of 2600 points you can get as low as to 2200 points rating. And you can't go lower than 2200.

Regards Xabier.

Wait a minute...isn;t this what ratings are for??? If I start to suck, then I deserve a lower rating. I haven;t "paid my dues" and got lax. Kinda of like not working out for a month at the gym. I'm just not supposed to be as sharp as I have been.

This "ratings floor" is just a tool to keep players from leaving I think. But really, all it would take is a few good wins and they'd be back on track. Kinda of a wuss-bugg aprroach IMHO. Then again, we live in a age where people buy the "cheat" book with a brand new video game purchase....(sigh)
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:25 am

Good day,

tatjimguy wrote:Wait a minute...isn;t this what ratings are for??? If I start to suck, then I deserve a lower rating. I haven;t "paid my dues" and got lax. Kinda of like not working out for a month at the gym. I'm just not supposed to be as sharp as I have been.

This "ratings floor" is just a tool to keep players from leaving I think. But really, all it would take is a few good wins and they'd be back on track. Kinda of a wuss-bugg aprroach IMHO. Then again, we live in a age where people buy the "cheat" book with a brand new video game purchase....(sigh)

Well, there are just people who take advantage of low rating as it means in tournaemnt games getting more time than oponents to play, or better position + time or more points, and a lot of sandbagging has been done in the last nearly 10 months or last year within the daily warzone final in which every tournament winner was a clear sandbagger.

Since, points handicap is a good thing if there were no people taking advantage from it. Thus rating floor + banning, lots of banning has made chesscube change daily warzone final to normal daily warzone with just cubit prizes.

Let's see for example I am a 2000 player at chesscube in 1 min games, but I lose 400 rating points on purpouse to 1600 by resigning or playing dumbly for 20 cubits per game or 0 cubits.

Now with my 1600 rating I can quite confortably beat 1800 players for 2000~25000 cubits per game, for winning cubits or at tournaments with my low rating by having huge time advantage against 2000 people I would not have if I had not lost rating.

Thus I believe having a floor rating is something good. Although I would put the rating floor to your max standar rating - 200 for both tournament and standar rating.

Regards Xabier.
<<

Reecemaxwe

Bishop

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:03 pm

(h) Good thing you invented floor ratings ;). 8-( Less sandbaggers on the site :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
<<

wemmanuel

Pawn

Post Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:31 pm

I play less than before and is therfor no longer as good as before but my "floor level" is still 1800. As a consequence I loose almost all my games, it is a bit annoying I would prefer to see my rating going down.. that would be better for me and my opponents
<<

pier4r

Pawn

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:03 am

I read the whole topic and i understood the reasons behind rating floors (to avoid the users who join low level tournaments with good cubit prizes) but, as others said, it's a bit sad (and can imply a lack of motivation) that an elo can't fall under a "fixed" threshold if the player quits the game for a while or if he play against new stronger opponents. Moreover the global average will raise (ok, slowly) so a rating will be more and more biased (by rating floors).

So i propose a small fix. The rating floor can hold but for a fixed time (in months, so it's unlikely that someone will wait a lot to lower his rating), since a player performance should not change a lot in few months (let's say, 4 months), and after this time the rating floor can be recomputed. For example can be recomputed using "avg elo of the last month" - 200 or something like that.

post edited by sansen
<<

robkin

Pawn

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:36 am

I disagree.. the market for chess sites is quite overloaded so a chess site needs something to make it unique: Chesscube has the best interface of all sites and it has rating floors what I very much appreciate
PreviousNext

Return to ChessCube Knowledge Base