FAQ

Can you please do somthing about tournament sandbaggers?

<<

tao999

Pawn

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:09 am

Can you please do somthing about tournament sandbaggers?

Defined here as those who deliberately lower their tournament ratings in order to get extra time in tournaments, or compete in (lower limit) tournaments that they otherwise would not be able to get into.

I see this type of thing consistently, players rated 200+ points under the tournament limit (u1600 in my case) who consistently place in the top 5 in said tournaments, often dominating them with 100% or near-100% win rates against much higher rated competitors. In the average tournament I have played in I would say that usually 2 or more of the top 5 finishers fit this description. Clearly the odds of this happening without sandbagging or other forms of cheating are virtually zero, yet there seems to be no program in place to effectively counteract it.

I have reported a number of these cases to the cheats room, and also via email to [email protected], usually with no response whatsoever. I think it is fair to ask that obvious cases of sandbagging be dealt with in an effective manner, as to not do so gives a significant edge to cheaters, and can only serve to demoralize those who wish to play fairly (or conceivably lead them towards sandbagging themselves - a domino effect of sorts).

I have mentioned this suggestion elsewhere, but perhaps the average rating of those playing in unrated tournaments could be calculated (by their results in said tournaments) every 3-4 weeks, and their rating adjusted accordingly at that time. Those seen to be deliberately sandbagging to influence those results (for example, dominating one tourney then deliberately losing most games in others to fool the system) could be warned, and suspended/banned after multiple infractions.

I imagine there is some mathematical formula that could be used to flag suspected sandbaggers for review (both currently and under my proposed change above), as the extreme cases are already pretty clear to anyone with basic chess and/or statistical knowledge. I realize that some degree of sandbagging will always take place in any venture in which lower rated players get bonuses (extra time in this case), but I also think that improvements can be made.

It seems clear to me that leaving sandbagging virtually undealt with is very likely to lead to loss in moral and faith of this site by its members (and prospective members, as few people want to utilize - and especially not pay for - a service in which significant levels of fraud is endemic).

I request that an administrator address the concerns listed above in a reply below, as this is a matter of genuine concern to myself and others here, and a matter of basic fairness and integrity which should be fundamental to any legitimate service.

Thanks.
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Can you please do somthing about tournament sandbaggers?

Good day,

Chesscube is trying at its fullest to get sandbaggers banned but there seem to be different kind of views at this matter.
They will not ban a player unless they are 100% sure that the player in question is a sandbagger. I still would do as you say and ban all those sandbaggers as you have explained. Although implementing and letting a computer decide who is sandbagging and who is not in based of some parameters is difficult to do since there might be cases in which a non-sandbagger is banned too.

And everything gets more complicated.

I would like to see an automation in bans but I suppose it is not likely to happen in the near future yet.

Regards Xabier.
<<

massivepawn

Pawn

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:51 am

Can this topic please be pinned to the top of the page? This is a huge issue. Basically every high rated player I have chatted to seems to have two accounts, a high rated one and a low rated one which they use to win U1600, U1800 tournaments, and get time advantages etc.
Can Chesscube use IP adresses to only allow one account per person please? Also, couldn't players tournament wins be tracked to determine if they are underrated? A 1400 rated player should not be winning ANY tournaments, yet I see this happen (with perfect win record) almost everyday. Can chesscube please stop unrated tournaments? I don't see the point in them, except to serve as perfect places for sandbaggers to come back to again and again to take the prizes without their rating going up. It is frustrating to play competitively against a 2000 rated player, and then get absolutely demolished by a 1400 rated player.
Thanks to any Admin that reply to this post.
<<

Sansen

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 pm

tao999 wrote:Defined here as those who deliberately lower their tournament ratings in order to get extra time in tournaments, or compete in (lower limit) tournaments that they otherwise would not be able to get into.

I see this type of thing consistently, players rated 200+ points under the tournament limit (u1600 in my case) who consistently place in the top 5 in said tournaments, often dominating them with 100% or near-100% win rates against much higher rated competitors. In the average tournament I have played in I would say that usually 2 or more of the top 5 finishers fit this description. Clearly the odds of this happening without sandbagging or other forms of cheating are virtually zero, yet there seems to be no program in place to effectively counteract it.

I have reported a number of these cases to the cheats room, and also via email to [email protected], usually with no response whatsoever. I think it is fair to ask that obvious cases of sandbagging be dealt with in an effective manner, as to not do so gives a significant edge to cheaters, and can only serve to demoralize those who wish to play fairly (or conceivably lead them towards sandbagging themselves - a domino effect of sorts).

I have mentioned this suggestion elsewhere, but perhaps the average rating of those playing in unrated tournaments could be calculated (by their results in said tournaments) every 3-4 weeks, and their rating adjusted accordingly at that time. Those seen to be deliberately sandbagging to influence those results (for example, dominating one tourney then deliberately losing most games in others to fool the system) could be warned, and suspended/banned after multiple infractions.

I imagine there is some mathematical formula that could be used to flag suspected sandbaggers for review (both currently and under my proposed change above), as the extreme cases are already pretty clear to anyone with basic chess and/or statistical knowledge. I realize that some degree of sandbagging will always take place in any venture in which lower rated players get bonuses (extra time in this case), but I also think that improvements can be made.

It seems clear to me that leaving sandbagging virtually undealt with is very likely to lead to loss in moral and faith of this site by its members (and prospective members, as few people want to utilize - and especially not pay for - a service in which significant levels of fraud is endemic).

I request that an administrator address the concerns listed above in a reply below, as this is a matter of genuine concern to myself and others here, and a matter of basic fairness and integrity which should be fundamental to any legitimate service.

Thanks.

Hi toa999,

I have rewarded you several cubits earlier for your reports. All reports to fairplay are addressed with no delay.

I appreciate your time in helping ChessCube detect cheaters.

Thank you,
Sansen
I sometimes drift over this way,, but not very often
<<

Sansen

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:08 pm

massivepawn wrote:Can this topic please be pinned to the top of the page? This is a huge issue. Basically every high rated player I have chatted to seems to have two accounts, a high rated one and a low rated one which they use to win U1600, U1800 tournaments, and get time advantages etc.
Can Chesscube use IP adresses to only allow one account per person please? Also, couldn't players tournament wins be tracked to determine if they are underrated? A 1400 rated player should not be winning ANY tournaments, yet I see this happen (with perfect win record) almost everyday. Can chesscube please stop unrated tournaments? I don't see the point in them, except to serve as perfect places for sandbaggers to come back to again and again to take the prizes without their rating going up. It is frustrating to play competitively against a 2000 rated player, and then get absolutely demolished by a 1400 rated player.
Thanks to any Admin that reply to this post.

Please report all suspects to [email protected] or visit the Report Cheats Room and speak to a moderator.

If you have suggestions for ChessCube please send them to [email protected]

Thanks,
Sansen
<<

buki82

Bishop

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 am

What is, or what are tournaments sandbaggers, and how can we identified them?
I don't Understand this word "sandbaggers".

Thank's
Buki82
I can write, only when I'm online in chesscube forum...!
<<

Sansen

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 am

buki82 wrote:What is, or what are tournaments sandbaggers, and how can we identified them?
I don't Understand this word "sandbaggers".

Thank's
Buki82

Buki82,

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1093
<<

inasha2000

Pawn

Post Sat May 12, 2012 10:05 am

hello it's me. What about Cswan sand bagger . and i played a tournament i saw some body . his tournament rating was 847 and i saw he won 1st tell me who is that

thanks,

reguards,

inasha2000
<<

knightattack

Queen

Post Sun May 13, 2012 9:30 am

"Sandbagging-a player deliberately lowers his competitive rating, in order to play in a future event with a lower rating and consequently have a better chance to win. (6) "

ChessCube mention that sandbagging is not allowed? :naughty:

Sandbaggers are really a problem for the honest players So....

if you suspect someone for the sandbagging then you can report to [email protected].
or
in the report to report cheat room

this helps to make this community best.. (A)
If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it..Learn to smile at every situation..See it as an opportunity to prove your strength and ability...Live Hard Live Your Dream
KnightAttack
<<

romaniachess

Pawn

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:46 am

i dint know reason i was banner cheating probably my kids they play or do something but i can play anymore i don't know what ha-pend
Next

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages