FAQ

Elephant Gambit - Newbasketrap (bulletful)

<<

newba

Knight

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:41 am

Elephant Gambit - Newbasketrap (bulletful)

Hello! This is Newba, directly from Haumea planet, to show you a very rare, but also deadly trap.
This is a bullet exclusive trap, since if you're playing a blitz or normal game your opponent will be aware of almost all the consequences.
First of all, I'm gonna explain why this trap is so rare and then what to do to reach the final point.

The position happens at the Elephant gambit, after 1. e4 ...e5 • 2. Nf3 ...d5
This gambit is extremely delicate for a blitz/normal game, so I believe you shouldn't use it for that.
Although, it's surprising at bullet games because your opponent often gets shocked, for he won't really know what to do.

Ok, so, let's explore it a bit:
From here, you can check there are three possibilities:
3. exd5
3. d4
3. Nxe5
We'll give a quick overview at the two first ones, and then focus at the third one, which is the preposition for the trap.

3. exd5
This is the most logical and strong move for white. it takes the essential central pawn on d5 and, if the black queen takes back, the second knight will come at the game with all his might at c3.
So, for black, the correct move is 3 ...e4 (kicking the knight from it's formidable square).
Then, although 4. Qe2 (for this one, see this video from KingsCrusher) is the most impacting move (as it immediatly iniciates the queen at a central file and also protects the knight from being captured), the moves which you'll probably see most are 4. Nd4 (most frequent one) or 4. Ng1 (believe me, some people'll do that).
• When 4. Ng1, which is an awful move, you won't catch the pawn right away, instead you'll develop your king's knight to it's formidable square. 4...Nf6.
• When 4. Nd4, you'll catch the pawn with 4...Qxd5. Notice that you'll queen out early, but your queen'll have a formidable outpost behind your central pawn with 5...Qe5. Doesn't matter if it's 5. Nb5 or 5. Nb3, although when 5. Nb3 it's slightly recommended that you first develop your knight with 5...Nf6.
So, here's the image with the final position:
(ghostly knights cuz these are the two most frequent moves)

3. d4
This is a bizarre way for white to deal with the Elephant Gambit, since it is somehow a passive move. Anyway, it's very strategical because it tends to put white's knight on e5 after black captures on e4.
The main variaton for this move is 3...dxe4 and then 4. Nxe5. Here black has 3 options to choose from: 4...Nd7, 4...Bd6 or 4...Bb4+.
I won't enter deep into this variation, cuz it's hugely tactical and has many subvariations to choose from, but most of them slightly favor white.

3. Nxe5
Ok, now for the good part. This is the move which can trigger the trap. After that you'll threat the knight with 3...Qe7.
If you analyse this position you'll see that white is pretty better, however, one of the trap's following move is, marvelously, white's most natural move for the position - 4. d4.
From here, black's marvelous and bulletraptriggering move is also the most natural, which is 4...f6. So here's the position:
Now, although 5. Nd3 or 5. Ng4 are the most efficient moves for white, you'll see that your opponent is diamondly tempted to check, starting it's queen with 5. Qh5+, and now we'll make a pitstop so that I can tell you the reason of this temptation.

This check is a very common one, most of the times it's used for a knight sacrifice in order to win a rook. Down here you'll see it in it's essence:
After the knight capture, I think you can see what comes next. Rook... explooodes!

But at the position I've shown you, my friends, this won't happen. See for yourself:
1. e4 ...e5 • 2. Nf3 ...d5 • 3. Nxe5 ...Qe7 • 4. d4 ...f6 • 5. Qh5+ ...g6 • 6. Nxg4 ...Qxe4+!
White can't defend the knight and the check at the same time. Even if it tries to defend with the queen, after the trade it's check again, and after the queens vanish, it's black to move and it'll simply be 8...hxg7. Greatbye, knight.
White's best option to defend against the check is 7. Be3, then you can simply increase the pressure with 7...Bg4, threating white's queen which has almost nowhere useful to move to. Then, after 8. Qh4, you'll finally take the dead knight with 8...Qxg6, also defending your bishop.
If white, instead of 7. Be3, blocks the check with 7. Be2, then You'll capture the knight right away with your queen.
If the queen trade occurs next, you'll lead the game, but if white decides to capture the pawn in d5, which happens most of the cases, you should be careful not to lose your advantage.
The best move after 8. Qxd5 is 8...Ne7, threating the queen. If white pins your queen to the king with 9. Bh5, simply capture the queen with your knight. If, however, your opponent take his queen out of the great white diagonal with a move like 9. Qb3, you'll just capture the pawn on g2 and then you're winning.
White can also choose to do developmental stuff after 7. Be2 and 7...Qxg6. Then you gotta first defend your e5 pawn at any cost, mainly by 8...c3 or 8...Ne7, and then try to do some trades and then castle queenside (if you find time for that in this mad match).
Note that the knight to e7 is a key move, offensive or defensively, after you obtain success trapping. It may not happen immediately, but many times you'll have to do it to ensure your position is not compromised.

This bulletrap I've shown you today is called Newbasketrap. It comes from the junction of three words:
• Newba - my terraqueous name
• Basket - at Haumea, few minutes before I was going to play my first bullet tourney, a basket fell from the sky with a notebook inside. At the last page I found the Elephant Gambit notation and, below the notation, the word bullet.
• Trap - self-explanative
If you don't like that name, you can call it whatever you want, since in Haumea I got famous and rich with it, and I don't really need terraqueous renown. :-P

Thanks for your attention, love and interest.
Yours, Newba.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Click here Elephant Gambit & Newbasketrap's basic PGN
(move the mouse-roller down at most of the PGN viewers for the main variation)
Brazil community's rocketeer!
<<

newba

Knight

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 am

Re: Elephant Gambit - Newbasketrap (bulletful)

Up with that!
Brazil community's rocketeer!

Return to Chess Openings & Endgames