FAQ

pieces move sluggishly

<<

kievit

Pawn

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:59 am

pieces move sluggishly

Hi,

I am new to chesscube. Looks quite nice here.

However. In my first few games I feel a bit handicapped because the pieces move so slowly. I pick them up with the mouse and then they follow my mouse pointer with some delay. This makes me lose *lots* of time. I did not yet lose any games because of that, but my last game I should have easily won, but I just did not manage to do all the moves to get my opponent mated, so I settled for a draw by taking all his pieces before my time was up. On the "home" tab I did find the account settings page, and I turned *off* the move animation. It seems to me that nothing has changed. Moves still look animated to me and still go very slow.

My laptop is 2 years old and fast enough for most other applications, no sluggishness. A chess board should not be particularly resource intensive (I'd think). It runs linux (mint 12), and I tried both firefox and chromium, I did not notice any difference.

Do other users have the same issue? Are there other changes I could do to speed up the interface?

Thanks,
kievit
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:59 am

Re: pieces move sluggishly

Good day kievit,

It is flash thing it has nothing to do with your pc stats. I found that flash works less flowlessly on linux than on windows. Although my connection is better in linux than in windows, I suppose that antivirus and firewall makes linux faster than windows.

I hope that chesscube changes flash to other type that works better on linux.

Salute to pingüin power!!

Regards Xabier.
<<

liutaurasu

Pawn

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:28 am

Similar problem for me - in Windows it all works OK, wheras Linux has the same major problem - everything seems ok, but gameplay is slow due to some strange pieces response to mousemovement. It seems like some additional "movement" trace and slowing is introduced

Br,
Liutauras
<<

cubic_cuber

Pawn

Post Thu May 17, 2012 5:43 pm

This prob of pieces feeling stuck and hard to move happened to only one single game in warzone tourny yesterday. It made me lose time considerably and in my rush to avoid losing on time, I played badly and lost although I beat this same opponent (nikolis22) soundly also in white pieces, and while I was in a winning streak of more than 5 games then thus scoring high multiplier pts. After this loss, I dropped out of top 3 places. ALthough this prob didnt recurr in next games again, it already affected my chances and momentum adversely.

I reported it in cheat room yesterday. Today 2 more users (struggle123 and prateep 2835) reported same prob in cheat room, which also happened in only one single game in each of their separate case. So it is unlikely to be due to internet problems.

Besides possibility of cheating by opponent, it cud be caused by auto-detection system checking during that particular game and causing stress and slowdown in connectivity and response time for pieces to move properly; or possobly internal system conflicts within CC system; or possibly some kind of internal meddling by system staff during the game in question.

Can CC investigate into such strange incidents affecting users' games causing them to lose unfairly, and hopefully there cud be some form of security put in place to prevent system tampering happening again in future.
<<

cubic_cuber

Pawn

Post Sat May 19, 2012 1:47 am

damn it happened again today just now in one game only with mostafamuslam in warzone open, happening after I won against thomdagr8, who was then the top of the leaderboard. After losing game with mostafa, pieces revert back to normal movement and ease. :(

Becos of this prob, it allowed mostafamuslam to shoot up to win 3rd place. I wonder if it has anything got to do with thomdagr8 upon losing his winning streak becos of me or that mostafa exploited it to win 3rd place. Its all rather strange as it happened only during warzone again and only for one single game only before reverting back to normal.

Can CC seriously investigate if there is any meddling or hacking by users or by internal sources.
<<

eddiebarber

Pawn

Post Sun May 20, 2012 5:12 am

(6) The lag is a complete joke .... i played many games where the mouse wouldnt move after clicking like 5 times etc etc..... how in the world can the site blame everyones connection when in fact the site is like slow and overloaded imo ....its bad enough that 90 percent of all the tourneys are game in 1 or game in 2 and its a complete mouserace but now the response time is like the worst ive ever come across ... and i assure you its not on my end ... very dissatisfied lately with the site...p.s. where is all this free videos my premuim memberships supposed to deliver? ...disgruntled vip member ...sincerely, eddiebarber
<<

pabloasturias

Pawn

Post Sat May 26, 2012 9:56 pm

I think this kind of problems, are for small servers or bad sofware in CC, in other places ( buho, chessbase, etc ) I can play at 1 m., here sometimes I lost for time playing 3m. because I´m loosing 2 or 3 seconds AFTER MADE MY MOVE...... and CC values ours feedback......more than 300 submited and noone answer........
<<

zhaonan

Pawn

Post Mon May 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Ubuntu here and same thing. Xabier is right, I think. Flash support is not strong with Linux... Playing is less fun since I don't have Windows anymore.
<<

akshaylive

Pawn

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:45 am

It is flash-related problem for sure. There are two possible fixes-
1. make flash-browser coupling stronger/adobe updates.
2. optimize the site for linux users. Maybe a ChessCube "lite" version which isnt flash-heavy.

CC! Please do something bout this soon.
<<

whitetyson

Queen

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:22 pm

kievit wrote:Hi,

I am new to chesscube. Looks quite nice here.

However. In my first few games I feel a bit handicapped because the pieces move so slowly. I pick them up with the mouse and then they follow my mouse pointer with some delay. This makes me lose *lots* of time. I did not yet lose any games because of that, but my last game I should have easily won, but I just did not manage to do all the moves to get my opponent mated, so I settled for a draw by taking all his pieces before my time was up. On the "home" tab I did find the account settings page, and I turned *off* the move animation. It seems to me that nothing has changed. Moves still look animated to me and still go very slow.

My laptop is 2 years old and fast enough for most other applications, no sluggishness. A chess board should not be particularly resource intensive (I'd think). It runs linux (mint 12), and I tried both firefox and chromium, I did not notice any difference.

Do other users have the same issue? Are there other changes I could do to speed up the interface? hye there first you cud open up your mouse settings and put it speed to maximum this mite slightly improve game moves,,second its good to refresh ur pc and do a pc cleen up before u start on cc,,and last but not least never download whilst playin ,,it totally slows things down ,thankyou
,kind regards whitetyson :)
Thanks,
kievit
Next

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages