FAQ

Display name / username Privacy feature request!

<<

melvin_123

Pawn

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 am

Display name / username Privacy feature request!

First of all i would just like to thank the makers of Chesscube for their excellent work on the site. I have one suggestion for a feature tho.

On most gaming sites that i visit the display name and user name are not the same, there are privacy issues involved. We should be able to change our display names, its very easy to do: just put a display name input next to the name and surname in Profile Settings OR use the name or surname as display names.

Maybe you wonder what is the big privacy issue that i am talking about. The username should be secret to the public because would want to steal an account or hack the account they are halfway to doing it knowing the username, i wont say anymore than this because i don't want to give ideas. I hope its clear why this is such a big deal for me, this is the reason why i didn't invest real money into my chesscube account.
<<

melvin_123

Pawn

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:16 am

Re: Display name / username Privacy feature request!

Sorry for the typos, here's an edited version in compliance with the feature request template from this post(that i tried to link and could not because the editor identifies it as being an off site URL -> some one should fix that).

And sorry for double posting but i could not find the edit button on my first post.

Feature Subject.
1. Display Name for registered users.
2. Show a Display Name instead of the username.

How it works:

1.Add Display Name input next to the Name and Surname character input boxes or use the Name and Surname as Display Name.
2.After the Display Name input box has been used, the input will appear to the public instead of the Username.
3.Show a pop-up dialogue ( like the one with announcements ) asking players to pick a Display Name. I'm also considering that the dialogue could bother players that are playing 10 second games so in order to not sabotage them, the dialogue could be scheduled to appear at the user's next log in or as a notification.
4.In case the idea that a Display Name input is not necessary because we can already use the name and surname as Display Name then just show the Name and Surname instead of the Username next to the user's avatar.

More information.

• Right now, a user's identity is his username and that is a problem.
  • Due to the fact that the username is log in information i believe that it should be hidden from the public for reasons that are obvious but i will write them anyway just so there is no room for interpretation.
  • Log in information is what the person uses to access his/her Chesscube account, it must be confidential.
  • A better reason for this feature is the fact that Chesscube offers paid services and with this there comes the risk that users can loose real money in addition to their Chesscube account if it is ever hacked or stolen. Both parties, buyer and seller should have it in their best interest to keep the log in information confidential to the public.
  • The Username is just as important as the password when it comes to security and because the password being unknown is a way to prevent strangers from accessing an account, an unknown username makes it twice as hard for anyone except the rightful owner to log in the account.
<<

babasaheb

Bishop

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:42 am

so, a user name / handle should be secret, because it's part of the login process?

and you propose members have both a public handle, and, a secret handle to cope with this deficiency. And, you choose to refer to this as a 'privacy' issue (yet, your suggestion amounts to 'outing' those members who'd use their real name).

I suggest instead that users be urged to make their password reasonably secure and not easy to guess. The site could be adjusted to reject new passwords that were too simple.
Ready to join chesscube? Click: http://www.chesscube.com/register/?referrer=babasaheb

( Members have been blocked from seeing my Chat room, tourney Chat & game Chat since March 6, 2013 )
<<

melvin_123

Pawn

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 pm

babasaheb wrote:so, a user name / handle should be secret, because it's part of the login process?

and you propose members have both a public handle, and, a secret handle to cope with this deficiency. And, you choose to refer to this as a 'privacy' issue (yet, your suggestion amounts to 'outing' those members who'd use their real name).

I suggest instead that users be urged to make their password reasonably secure and not easy to guess. The site could be adjusted to reject new passwords that were too simple.

you didn't read my post:

The Username is just as important as the password when it comes to security and because the password being unknown is a way to prevent strangers from accessing an account, an unknown username makes it twice as hard for anyone except the rightful owner to log in the account.

It's log in information, why is the password secret and the username public? at the current level of privacy and security we could very well have the password public and the username confidential and the average guy couldn't break into an account but the internet is not just populated by "average guys".

I will name a few very successful games/sites/companies that offer paid services and understand the importance of user account security and the importance of keeping the Log In information of their clients confidential:

• All games by Valve.
  • All games by Blizzard Entertainment.
  • All games by NCSOFT.

These companies made it big because their users rest assured that their investments are secure and no small fry hackers will input their username into the log in and start guessing passwords for it, wouldn't chesscube make this change if it means that the users feel more secure about their investments?

I got money and i want to buy cubits and crowns but then my account will become a target and whoever would be tempted to steal it is halfway into doing so because they know HALF of the log in information.

Don't say stuff like "make a strong password" because that's not not enough, you've seen hackers on the internet that break into governmental sites, they broke into the FBI database, they broke into NASA. Not saying that a chesscube vip account would attract the attention of a mastermind hacker, I'm just saying that it would be two times as difficult to break into an account if the thief does not know the username.
<<

babasaheb

Bishop

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 pm

The more steps that are added to login procedures, the more likely users will make mistakes or take stupid shortcuts.

Handle, secret login password, works well for 98.23% of all internet sites, so it's good enough for cc.

Besides, there's nothing of consequence to steal if anyone did hack a user account.
Ready to join chesscube? Click: http://www.chesscube.com/register/?referrer=babasaheb

( Members have been blocked from seeing my Chat room, tourney Chat & game Chat since March 6, 2013 )
<<

melvin_123

Pawn

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 pm

babasaheb wrote:The more steps that are added to login procedures, the more likely users will make mistakes or take stupid shortcuts.

Dude, you can't make an argument without reading my posts.

Where exactly, and please quote me, have i ever said anything about users having to go through more steps in the login procedure which is (at the moment) a TWO step procedure:

STEP 1: input Username!
STEP 2: input Password!

babasaheb wrote:Besides, there's nothing of consequence to steal if anyone did hack a user account.

Yes there is.
<<

capathechamp

Pawn

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Does this site ever had any upgrade/ new feature add (*except some extra smiley adding in chat)since it created? :-d
lol
<<

caro_cann

Bishop

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 pm

good idea

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages