FAQ

The Sniper

<<

sniperzaitsev

Pawn

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm

The Sniper

Hello chess friends,

I'm an 1800 player with better things to do than memorize long lines of opening theory - then I discovered the Sniper
and found a way to create unbalanced positions in which the more imaginative player will have the better chances.

I'm just wondering if anyone on this site has played this, and if so - has it improved your results? (And perhaps increased your enjoyment of the game!) Often my opponents are disappointed that I don't transpose into mainline theory and just defer castling for a long time. I first came across a detailed treatment of this opening ("defence" would be a misnomer)
in Charlie Storey's book The Sniper (published by Everyman last year.) It's a good introduction to the ideas underpinning this dynamic system and Raymond Keene recommended it in his column in The Times.

I've heard that there's such a thing as the White Sniper with 1.g3 - does anyone know where I can get any information about this? (Books or DVDs if any exist.)

I'd be interested to hear from other players about their experience with this opening.

Thanks! :)
<<

elvis_ford

Pawn

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 am

Re: The Sniper

I've just started using the "sniper" system, using Storey's book as a guide, (really just got it) and am in half a dozen current games, with one loss and a win. I think it is a lot of fun so far as I have never employed a modern opening. I do find the Sniper problematic with castling as I'm all the time launching a king side minority attack, and my king gets left in less than safety.

I find the Sniper suspiciously similar to the Pterodactyl. As for your question for white sniper, the Catalan is the closest thing I can think of. Btw, I'm only a 1300-1300 player.

Your ideas on imaginative play with the sniper system is quite correct, imo. :clap:
<<

ilostmypass

Pawn

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:25 pm

I don't know about the oppening itself, but pretty sure that video can be found on the chesscube store.
<<

blitzplayer01

Pawn

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:01 pm

i regularly play sniper(g6+Bg7+0-0+c5)
<<

blitzplayer01

Pawn

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:34 pm

yes,there is a video by IM Martin on sniper on chesscube.

Return to Chess Openings & Endgames