FAQ

[working as specified] Time on disconection and moves

<<

vpassos

Pawn

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 am

[working as specified] Time on disconection and moves

I think Chesscube should change things to stop the time when someone disconnects. I don't think give win to other player is fair in most of cases.
To the case of people using disconnection to avoid losing games it could be adjourned for a time (couple of minutes, hours) with a chance to resume when the oponent get online. After that time, if the player who got disconnected doesn't resume the game, the other one can clain win.

Other important thing about time is the lag taking your game time. When you got short on time it gets most annoying. The server should be able to deliver the move with the correct time, without discount on the time the lag takes to show it. Other servers have it, and it really makes the game more fair.

See you on the board,
Victor (vrpassos)
<<

bryan

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:08 am

Re: Time on disconection and moves

vpassos wrote:I think Chesscube should change things to stop the time when someone disconnects. I don't think give win to other player is fair in most of cases.
To the case of people using disconnection to avoid losing games it could be adjourned for a time (couple of minutes, hours) with a chance to resume when the oponent get online. After that time, if the player who got disconnected doesn't resume the game, the other one can clain win.

Most users play blitz or bullet chess and do not want to have to wait more minutes or hours to resolve a game. A disconnected user has time remaining OR 2 minutes to reconnect, which should be fine for most users. I think users just get annoyed with having to remember what they were thinking about the game a couple hours later - so it is generally much better to resolve the game then and there.
vpassos wrote:Other important thing about time is the lag taking your game time. When you got short on time it gets most annoying. The server should be able to deliver the move with the correct time, without discount on the time the lag takes to show it. Other servers have it, and it really makes the game more fair.

We do timestamp for moves, as other servers do. We also, however, have an upper threshold of lag allowance (about 2 seconds) - this is more than suitable for most users and again prevents annoyance - why play someone a bullet game when they are lagging 5 seconds a move? For example, for 60 moves in what was meant to be a bullet game, instead of finishing in a maximum of 2 minutes (60 seconds each) the game can last 7+ minutes if we let a bad lagger play without consequence. If you are lagging badly, you should consider a slower time control in which the time deductions do not have that much influence on the game outcome.

The features we develop - as with 2 minute disconnect loss or lag penalties - are designed for the benefit of most users in the community. Yes, there will be some users - frequent disconnectors or bad laggers - we are adversely affected by this, but we cannot please everyone :)

Bug/feature status: Working as specified - we have no plans on changing existing functionality
<<

baluuu

Bishop

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 am

Re: [working as specified] Time on disconection and moves

thnx :-|
it is not a move ,even the best move ,that you must seek ,but a realizable plan.....(chess proverb)
<<

eleel

Pawn

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 am

yeah :shhh:
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Couldn't you win the game automatically in warzones when your oponent disconnects in the first move? I mean if you disconnect in the first move you are already giving the warzone away and you do not intend to resume the game (never happened to me that someone who has disconnected in a warzone has connected again to finish the game.), normally they do that to avoid playing a higher rated player and make them wait and wait and wait. I suppose that these players are kids that doesn't like losing. In a way you can understand kids but I just don't like that much waiting.

For me in particular if I have something else to do during a warzone I prefer to click pause and then resign the game and if I see that I am not going to be able to get back close the browser, that way the oponent doesn't suffer the consecuence of my need to leave.

In standar games I wouldn't mind a lot waiting even though it is a bit annoying having a lagger in bullet or blitz games, especially during endgames where your timer goes near 10 secs or less.

Regards Xabier.
<<

fpetrick

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:11 pm

What happens to me is that when I'm winning a game, the opponent suddenly 'loses connection' as if they don't want to be beaten by me but rather just say: 'I was disconnected'... That's just bad sportmanship. :snooty:
<<

bosox1275

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:52 pm

i second xabichess.if you disconnect in a tournament you should forfiet the game.

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages