FAQ

Canceling the game by black after white's first move

<<

bankoleti

Pawn

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Canceling the game by black after white's first move

It's now possible for black player to cancel the game after white has played the first move (but before black plays his first move).

This enables black players to always cancel the game if they see an opening that they don't like. In particular - a lot of players cancel the game after they see the Reti opening (1. Nf3) which prevents them from playing a popular 1...e5.

Needless to say this is against the rules of chess, so it would be nice to see the ability to cancel the game disabled for both players in the moment when white plays first move.

Thanks!
<<

pogogirl

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Canceling the game by black after white's first move

bankoleti wrote:It's now possible for black player to cancel the game after white has played the first move (but before black plays his first move).

This enables black players to always cancel the game if they see an opening that they don't like. In particular - a lot of players cancel the game after they see the Reti opening (1. Nf3) which prevents them from playing a popular 1...e5.

Needless to say this is against the rules of chess, so it would be nice to see the ability to cancel the game disabled for both players in the moment when white plays first move.

Thanks!

You can abort the game within the first two moves of the game, without losing any points.
Game can be aborted by cross (x) button on the game window.
<<

bankoleti

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:18 pm

pogogirl wrote:You can abort the game within the first two moves of the game, without losing any points.
Game can be aborted by cross (x) button on the game window.

Yeah I know, and that's precisely a "feature" I'm protesting against here, since it enables players to cancel the game if they see an opening they don't like. Some people when playing with black pieces simply cancel every game where 1.e4 or 1.d4 is not played. Or some white players cancel when they see a Caro Kann, for example, just because they don't know how to deal with it.

This makes people learn an opening to the death with canceling games with some other opening, making their rating unrealistically high. Anything like this is of course completely impossible in over the board chess, where you simply have to play regardless of an opening. And that's basically what chess is all about...

BTW, thanks for pointing out that white can cancel too after black has played, I haven't even noticed that.

Actually, what's wrong with having the ability to cancel the game completely removed?
<<

fpetrick

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm with you on this one. It sucks when you finally gets an opponent and then they go and abort the game. This should be prevented.
<<

bosox1275

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:58 pm

yes,it sucks.i always play 1.Nf3
<<

sab2009

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi all,

Here a similar post : viewtopic.php?t=720
<<

willymack

Pawn

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Sorry to disagree.. I believe it should be left the way it is..

This is due to white being able to start a game and not move for 5 minutes.. The move while you're off at another table or something...

(White clock does not start until he moves)

Players who abort because they dislike my opening move?? Good riddance I say..
Respond to Nf3.. with ..d5 or ..Nc6, Then do your daggone ..E5
<<

bankoleti

Pawn

Post Wed May 04, 2011 9:50 pm

willymack wrote:Sorry to disagree.. I believe it should be left the way it is..

This is due to white being able to start a game and not move for 5 minutes.. The move while you're off at another table or something...

(White clock does not start until he moves)

Then why not solve the problem in the same manner as when player disconnects? Like player looses if he doesn't make his first move in 2 minutes?

willymack wrote:Players who abort because they dislike my opening move?? Good riddance I say..
Respond to Nf3.. with ..d5 or ..Nc6, Then do your daggone ..E5

Yeah, my words exactly, but you and me saying this is not stopping particular people from canceling EVERY game where 1.e4 is not played.
<<

sweeney

Pawn

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:48 pm

I would like to point that there is a bug that causes multiple games to start at the same time, I sometimes leave games at the start as I can only pick one game to play, not because of a persons opening style. Should be left the way it is. If the game I'm playing is quick, I dont have time to explain why I'm leaving.
ChessCube PLAYERS MATE IN OBSCURE POSITIONS
Get the T-Shirt here http://www.cafepress.co.uk/ChessCube.550862183

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages