FAQ

ChessCube Downtime - April 21 2011

<<

Sean

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:34 pm

ChessCube Downtime - April 21 2011

Hi all,

As most of you have noticed, ChessCube has been down since about 9am GMT/UTC. At first it seemed as if there was an error on our end, however more and more of our services started failing (finding friends, searching games etc). A quick check showed that Amazon Web Services (AWS) had been experiencing connection issues with their North Virginia EC2 servers - where we have the majority of our data is hosted.

According to this article on TechCrunch.com, major online services such as Reddit, FourSquare and Quora have been affected by the EC2 outage too. We've been monitoring the AWS Status page, and have been in discussion with AWS about this issue.

It's quite a tough call to make as to when Amazon and subsequently ChessCube.com will be online, however be assured that as soon as we get the green light from AWS, we'll get our servers up and running.

Here's a little hint: If you're missing your friends on ChessCube, head over to our Facebook Application - games and tournaments are down there too, however our chat rooms and the in-application store are active :D.

I'll keep in touch via our Facebook Fan Page and Twitter account with information on these issues.

Edit:
Latest update from AWS at 7PM GMT/UTC - "A number of people have asked us for an ETA on when we'll be fully recovered. We deeply understand why this is important and promise to share this information as soon as we have an estimate that we believe is close to accurate. Our high-level ballpark right now is that the ETA is a few hours. We can assure you that all-hands are on deck to recover as quickly as possible. We will update the community as we have more information."

Edit 2:
Latest update from AWS at 7:40PM GMT/UTC - "We have observed successful new launches of EBS backed instances for the past 15 minutes in all but one of the availability zones in the US-EAST-1 Region. The team is continuing to work to recover the unavailable EBS volumes as quickly as possible."

Edit 3:
We're heading into hour 22, at 6:35am GMT/UTC, and this is what Amazon Web Services has to say - "Just a short note to let you know that the team continues to be all-hands on deck trying to add capacity to the affected Availability Zone to re-mirror stuck volumes. It's taking us longer than we anticipated to add capacity to this fleet. When we have an updated ETA or meaningful new update, we will make sure to post it here. But, we can assure you that the team is working this hard and will do so as long as it takes to get this resolved."

EDIT - FINAL UPDATE:
ChessCube is up and running! We're in the process of important backed up data, however live games, chat and tournaments are fully functional.
ChessCube thanks you for your patience and understanding during the downtime, and we appreciate all comments and concern regarding our outage.

Hope to see you at the chess board on ChessCube soon!

Thanks,
-Sean
<<

nsathya

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: ChessCube Downtime - April 21 2011

Sean please correct errors fast its boring without chesscube :)
<<

a_derar

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 pm

mr sean i tried facebook application but it logged on with another account a_derar but i dont need this account i need the original one everafter account plz help me iam sick without chesscube
<<

bosox1275

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:34 pm

yes me too :(
<<

albinbinoo

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Pls bring it back as soon as possible, my day is ruined. :clap: Thanx for efforts I know you give your best on your part :dance: :dance: :dance:
<<

kirgar

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm

this is punishment for removing premium sit and go tournaments !!!! :eusa-naughty: we demand them back !! :clap:
<<

fpetrick

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:29 pm

I am dying of boredom. Now I have nothing else to do than to study and play on redhotpawn.com, which is BORING squared :S

Thank you for keeping us updated though, I was getting worried!
I don't have a signature...no really, I don't.
<<

mischahaha

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Keep up the good work guys. Sometimes, !@#* happens
<<

miglag

Pawn

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks for the effort Sean - your a real champ