FAQ

Feature request: choice of piece odds instead of time odds

<<

terra_mice

Pawn

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Feature request: choice of piece odds instead of time odds

Hi, so my idea is this: give the higher rated player a choice between time handicap and piece odds in tournaments.

For example, instead of 10 seconds less the higher rated player can choose to give a pawn, instead of 20 seconds a knight etc. Not really sure about the details, but it might be a good way to balance the game somewhat (mainly by preventing people playing some nonsense really fast to run out the time). Increment might work too, but that could stretch out the games too much....
<<

realty_don

Knight

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: Feature request: choice of piece odds instead of time od

Not sure that would work well for tournaments, but it's a great idea for giving odds between stronger & weaker players. Certainly for unrated games, but perhaps even rated games (so that cubits may be wagered).

This would increase, perhaps greatly, the match-up opportunities of members here to obtain interesting contests.

rD
<<

terra_mice

Pawn

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:55 pm

That might be a good idea too, as there are not all that much 'regular' games to be found at Chesscube.

But why do you think it wouldn't work exactly? I don't see any real disadvantages, and it might get me playing a bit more than I do right now.
<<

terra_mice

Pawn

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Btw another option might be allowing more than 1 premove at a time.
<<

superbear2000

Rook

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:15 pm

terra_mice wrote:Btw another option might be allowing more than 1 premove at a time.

So if you set two moves as pre-moves and they both are legally after your opponents move. It will give some problems because how shall one of the two moves then be choiced?
<<

terra_mice

Pawn

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:33 pm

superbear2000 wrote:So if you set two moves as pre-moves and they both are legally after your opponents move. It will give some problems because how shall one of the two moves then be choiced?

Well, the premoves should be made in the order you played them, maybe I wasn't clear about that. The idea is that you could enter a sequence, for example if there is a forcing variation, or when you are low on time and expect certain moves to happen.
Most other chess servers already have this feature in place.
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Good day terra,

There are some position handicapped tournaments in which if you are high rated enough you can start a game with rook less.

I think that one of those is the thurderhorse I tournament at 7:15 GMT if I am not incorrect.

There should be more of those at other timesets as well.

Have a nice day,

Xabier

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages