FAQ

Sandbagging - what is it?

<<

Sean

Site Admin

Post Mon May 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Sandbagging - what is it?

ChessCube has been cracking down on users who have been found to have sandbagged in order to win Cubits in games, and Crowns in Tournaments. We've seen many users get back to us after being banned - stating that they were not aware that what they were doing was against our Acceptable Usage Policy.

So, just to make it clear, here are a few points:

What is sandbagging?
Wikipedia defines sandbagging as:
"Sandbagging (chess, Go, billiards or other such games), a player deliberately lowers his competitive rating, in order to play in a future event with a lower rating and consequently have a better chance to win."

Where does ChessCube mention that sandbagging is not allowed?
In our Acceptable Usage Policy, section 3, point 6:
"you cannot assist others by deliberately losing for whatever reason, including to boost their rating."

This sentence covers self-playing, Cubit transferring, rating transferring, or the intention of sandbagging (to lose rating points deliberately).

Sandbaggers that are active in ChessCube ruin the experience of honest players. So we are cracking down very heavily on this form of cheating - as this is best for the community.

Remember, you can report sandbaggers and any other form of cheaters to [email protected].

More useful links:
Cheat Bounty - Report Cheats & Get Rewarded! - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=672
Bans for cheating - Country list - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=420

Thanks,
-Sean
<<

celestial

Pawn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Re: Sandbagging - what is it?

In my own point of view, it so happened that my tournament rating getting lower because I am quite effective in 5 minutes game, while in the most tournaments the time control is from 1 minute to 3minutes only. So, when I participate in tournaments that the participants are lowly rated players, I most likely win the tournament. So I am not a sandbagger! i am clear cut player that wanted to learn. I almost lost more than 50 USD here but its okay because its fun playing here.
<<

krish444

Pawn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Similarly i lost many games to low rated on time..... try to adopt yourselves to 3 min games... Regular practice makes it... Clearly it is mentioned that lowering our rating continuously without any reason is sandbagging....
<<

pioneer

Site Admin

Post Mon May 09, 2011 2:48 pm

I don's see a problem with players who fight in each game but fail to win. If you lose against any opponent but tried your best to win it is fair enough.

But simply resigning after a few moves without trying to win is not sporting and a violation of the rules.
<<

elena97

Pawn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 3:18 pm

pioneer wrote:I don's see a problem with players who fight in each game but fail to win. If you lose against any opponent but tried your best to win it is fair enough.

But simply resigning after a few moves without trying to win is not sporting and a violation of the rules.

yes you are right , thats right i never resign only some times which are only few times on mount ;)

I like the rules of Chess Cube No cheater No Nothing

Thanks ChessCube! :dance:

Many Thanks
Elena
<<

koeniginacht

Pawn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Ok.

I like cubits. And I don't like to play with a 2000-score-player because I cannot win, that's impossible. In the tournaments I don't play with them and my score go down always.

I like too when I play with a 1300-guy and win 40 cubits in a rated game. And I always choose the players that I want to play or not.

My score is not big, but I'm not really good. I think all is ok.

Am I a sandbagger?

I ask because I don't know, really. If I am, I can stop.

Thank you.
<<

black_bird

Pawn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 4:48 pm

I love chess cube and respect his rules so, I apologize if I sandbagging by mistake. It happen when there is no chance to win atournament so, I resign in the remaining matches.
I think many users doing this so, good luck in catching them and thanx for all chess moderators.
<<

jasonemryss

Pawn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 5:58 pm

sandbagging has more than one definition. a couple to be sure. Another would be that sandbaggers slow the game down and make you grind it out.

<<

BlkSabb

Pawn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 6:15 pm

In the last tournament I played in, there was a big fight afterwards because the winner had a history of simply creating new accounts to give him an advantage when he started a tournament. I hope there's a crackdown on this also.
<<

shrlockholmes

Pawn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 6:49 pm

WE ARE WITH WE CAN HELP U OUT OF THIS WE ALL ARE AGAINST CHEATING AND HOPE FOR CHEAT FREE CUBE WHERE WE CAN LEARN SOMETHING :)
Next

Return to ChessCube Announcements & News