FAQ

Changes since new Cubit policy

<<

bryan

Site Admin

Posts: 125

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Location: Cape Town

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

tchitcherine wrote:Stalking? I have no idea where you live, and don't want to know. I do want to know what is happening with ChessCube, however, which is why I'm still here. You see, I've spent money here, and I'd prefer to know that I didn't waste it.


Then stop calling me out and personalizing this - I have nothing against you personally and I did not come up with the new policies - so stop whining about me.
<<

bryan

Site Admin

Posts: 125

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Location: Cape Town

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

trekgeyt wrote:Always a place to party, one or place or the other ;)

Yes of course, but ChessCube would not be a place to party at for much longer if we kept giving the beers and party hats away for free ;)

Someone, somewhere ultimately has to pay for this, or it all goes away.
<<

tchitcherine

Pawn

Posts: 28

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 am

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

bryan wrote:
tchitcherine wrote:"Got a short little span of attention the rest of my life is so long..."
--Paul Simon "You Can Call Me Al"

I am concerned for the future of ChessCube. You banned a paying customer, as you well know. Your reason for banning was dubious at best. Should I jog your memory further?


bryan:
I banned a user who was violating site rules by spamming other chess playing sites in the help room.

tchitcherine:
You encouraged this. You goaded repeatedly. Look me in the eye and deny this.

bryan:
Whether he was paying or not is irrelevant.

tchitcherine:
No, it's not, especially not now, given that ChessCube's situation is so precarious. Look me in the eye and deny that it's precarious. The fact is that you encouraged the behaviour to which you took exception, so your behaviour was--at best--questionable, and certainly not befitting of a moderator. Such behaviour loses potential revenue. Please try to understand this.

bryan:
Typically these bans amount to just warnings - and a simple email to [email protected] gets you unbanned.

tchitcherine:
What about an email to Sean, detailing your behaviour?

bryan:
But - yes - if you think that because you have spent money on ChessCube, that gives you the right to violate the TOS, well, you would be wrong.

tchitcherine:
So....you're arguing that a paying customer's having violated the TOS is worthy of punishment, even though the sole reason why said paying customer did so was goading by a moderator who should know better, but clearly does not.

Once again, ChessCube is losing revenue because of you.

bryan:
We don't allow even paying customers to do various things online.

tchitcherine:
Quite rightly, IMO. What about moderators? Can they behave as they please, as it seems?
<<

tchitcherine

Pawn

Posts: 28

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 am

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

bryan wrote:
tchitcherine wrote:Stalking? I have no idea where you live, and don't want to know. I do want to know what is happening with ChessCube, however, which is why I'm still here. You see, I've spent money here, and I'd prefer to know that I didn't waste it.


Then stop calling me out and personalizing this - I have nothing against you personally and I did not come up with the new policies - so stop whining about me.


In that case, reverse your decision. Certainly you do a decent job of appearing to have something against me personally. But for your goading, none of this would have occurred.

It's not whining, it's expressing genuine concern about ChessCube's general situation, which, evidently, your behaviour is not helping. You want me to spend more money at ChessCube? So do I. As soon as you reverse your bad decision, and, ideally, stop behaving in a manner which, frankly, is quite unsuitable for a moderator, I shall.
<<

bryan

Site Admin

Posts: 125

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Location: Cape Town

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

tchitcherine wrote:...Lots of fascinating stuff to get it all of his chest....

Yes, emailing Sean amounts to the same thing if you want to be unbanned.

And, yes, violating the TOS by spamming other sites will still get you banned, whether you pay or not. Should we let paying customers cheat? Or abuse others? Or post porn links? We have a TOS, which includes an Acceptable Use Policy, and violations of these policies can get you banned. If you think that advertising other sites is either your right because you are a customer or something that benefits ChessCube, you are wrong.

I arrived after you start spamming other sites, so somehow blaming me for you doing so is quite specious.

Are we done now, or do you wish to further derail this otherwise POSITIVE thread about changes that many users would actually appreciate?
<<

bryan

Site Admin

Posts: 125

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Location: Cape Town

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

tchitcherine wrote:In that case, reverse your decision.

You mean the banning? I assumed Sean had after you messaged him. Of course I can unban you - what is your username?
<<

trekgeyt

Pawn

Posts: 9

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 am

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

bryan wrote:
trekgeyt wrote:Always a place to party, one or place or the other ;)

Yes of course, but ChessCube would not be a place to party at for much longer if we kept giving the beers and party hats away for free ;)

Someone, somewhere ultimately has to pay for this, or it all goes away.


Understandable. Yet if the new policy drives all non-paying members away it wouldn't be all that interesting to obtain vip membership. Take a glance in cc cafe. Not that many vip memberships there. Some have premium but it is of no guarentee they will switch to vip. So the rest are all non-paying members. What if they go elsewhere? There won't be enough ppl left for a party.

It seems to me that another brainstorm session could lead to more constructive ideas and perhaps a long term vision.
I get vip as soon as i like the policy again.
<<

bryan

Site Admin

Posts: 125

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Location: Cape Town

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

trekgeyt wrote:Understandable. Yet if the new policy drives all non-paying members away it wouldn't be all that interesting to obtain vip membership. Take a glance in cc cafe. Not that many vip memberships there. Some have premium but it is of no guarentee they will switch to vip. So the rest are all non-paying members. What if they go elsewhere? There won't be enough ppl left for a party.

It seems to me that another brainstorm session could lead to more constructive ideas and perhaps a long term vision.
I get vip as soon as i like the policy again.


Yup, it is something we will monitor (from both financial and server-load perspective) and tweak of course. Just these updates as described in this post alone give non-VIPs extra playing opportunities, and we have some other ideas too that will be implemented in due-course.

We are not trying to scare away all non-VIPs, but simply not enough cash means no ChessCube - so we are willing to try all angles, even ones that annoy users who want this to remain free forever.
<<

tchitcherine

Pawn

Posts: 28

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 am

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

bryan wrote:
tchitcherine wrote:In that case, reverse your decision.

You mean the banning? I assumed Sean had after you messaged him. Of course I can unban you - what is your username?


Obviously I mean the banning. No, Sean hasn't reversed anything. Perhaps he thinks you should take responsibility for your mistake.

Obviously, my username is tchitcherine.

If you unban me now, then I shall tip a virtual hat to you.

TIA
tchitcherine (username: tchitcherine)
<<

tchitcherine

Pawn

Posts: 28

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 am

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Changes since new Cubit policy

tchitcherine wrote:
bryan wrote:
tchitcherine wrote:In that case, reverse your decision.

You mean the banning? I assumed Sean had after you messaged him. Of course I can unban you - what is your username?


Obviously I mean the banning. No, Sean hasn't reversed anything. Perhaps he thinks you should take responsibility for your mistake.

Obviously, my username is tchitcherine.

If you unban me now, then I shall tip a virtual hat to you.

TIA
tchitcherine (username: tchitcherine)


Update: I just got an email from Sean telling me that he has unbanned the account, which is great. I hope I've posted this in time to save you the trouble, bryan....
PreviousNext

Return to ChessCube Announcements & News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.