FAQ

Number of moves in a game

<<

gromit

Pawn

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Number of moves in a game

In game history, the number of moves shown for each game is literally the total number of moves - White's and Black's. Please could this be changed so as to observe the normal convention that the number of moves in a game is the number made by White?
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Number of moves in a game

You can just divide by two... I really see no problem in that, although it is easier to spot early resigners the way you are asking. Early resigners = people who lower their rating for the daily warzone or before anykind of warzones.
<<

gromit

Pawn

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Sure I can divide by two. But one expects a chess website to observe the usual chess convention unless there is good reason to depart from it. No-one has explained what that reason might be.
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 am

Good morning gromit,

I do not really know the reason, maybe the admins prefer to show the number of all moves in total instead of just the number of moves done by white, since you cannot know if black has done the same amount of moves or less.

The way it is now it is easier to spot who the winner is, or at least who the player who has done the last move is. Even black odd white.

I am still not too sure if that is the reason or not though. Maybe it was asked to make it that way to see the total moves done instead of the moves done by each player.

Regards Xabier.

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages