The ChessCube Referral System rewards users who refer (= invite) their friends, site visitors or other online chess players to ChessCube.
How do I refer someone to ChessCube?
To refer a user you MUST give them the correct referral URL, which looks like this:
http://www.chesscube.com/register/?referrer=username - and you substitute your username at the end.
For instance, my referral URL will be: http://www.chesscube.com/register/?referrer=sean because my username is sean.
To make this easier to share, we strongly recommend that you use a site like http://bit.ly to make the URL shorter. For example, I have set my referral URL to http://bit.ly/ccsean after I shortened the URL (signing up at bi.tly lets you use custom phrases to make the URL easier to remember)
NOTE: make SURE you change =username to YOUR username - otherwise you are referring users so that "username" gets all your rewards!!!!
What are some good ways to get a new user to use my referral URL?
We strongly discourage spamming of your referral URL on every chess site or blog you go to; you will likely annoy users there and maybe will even make them dislike ChessCube. So you have to be considerate and careful with your approach to sharing your referral URL.
Some ideas that can work are:
- Make sure you shorten your link (as above) - sometimes users have to type URLs and they will forget or mistype yours if it is not short enough. Also, users may dislike that you are listed as the referrer in the normal URL, and will remove that part.
- Add the referral URL to your footer in your forum profile on different forums
- Tell other players at offline tournaments about ChessCube and write down your referral URL for them - even prepare business cards with this written out, so you can just hand them the cards
- Send the referral URL to your Facebook friends
- Send the referral URL to your Twitter followers
- Send the referral URL to your friends on other chess sites
- Sign up at other chess sites and make new friends, then send them your referral URL
- If you have videos on YouTube, add the referral URL to your profile or to videos
- If you run a blog or a website, post about ChessCube and add your referral URL to your post and profile. Additionally, add ChessCube advertising buttons or banners (see below) to different places around your site, and make the click target your referral URL.
What are the rewards?
The rewards are in experience points (XP), cubits or crowns according to the following reward scheme:
- For every new user invited to ChessCube who 1. registers, 2. plays, 3. validates their email address and 4. returns to ChessCube more than one day: 50 cubits + 10 XP
- For the every invited user who then purchases anything (VIP, crowns, cubits, videos etc.) on ChessCube using cash (as opposed to ChessCube currency): 5% (rounded) of their first cash order in crowns (at an exchange rate of $1 = 10 crowns)
- Awards do not happen immediately, but are rather batch processed every week or month so that we can make sure that cubits or crowns are fairly awarded.
- You invite your friend John to ChessCube and he signs up with username: John2011
Every month we check all referrals and if John2011 meets the requirements, we automatically award you 50 cubits and 10 XP.
John2011 does not buy anything the first month, but buys $100 worth of ChessCube goods (cubits, crowns, videos) in his first order 4 months later.
During monthly processing, we then award you 50 crowns for this order.
Additionally, we will run weekly and monthly referral competitions, that work like this:
Weekly Referral Competition
- Every week we will summarize the count of validated referrals per user.
- The person who has the most valid referrals wins an extra 1,000 cubits.
- The person who has the second most valid referrals wins an extra 500 cubits
Monthly Referral Competition
- Every month we will summarize the count of validated referrals per user.
- The person who has the most valid referrals wins VIP for 2 months
- The person who has the second most valid referrals wins VIP for 1 month
- The person who has the generated the most crowns from referred-user purchases wins VIP for 1 month
Of course we are aware with a system like this some users will not want to act ethically and will try all sorts of ways to cheat the system. We will be monitoring the IP addresses and computers that the users invited come in on, and if we determine that a user is just inviting himself and signing up with different email addresses, all entries for that user will bring no rewards, and, moreover, the user may be banned if this kind of cheating is excessive. We do NOT want many useless accounts from just one user. We are trying to encourage NEW users to come to ChessCube, so cheating in this way is pointless. We want more chess players to enjoy the site we love and are proud of - so please do not waste your or our time creating bogus accounts just to try to win cubits.
What advertising images can I use for my blog or website?
You can use any of our images, or, if you think that you can be more creative, create your own!
The HTML code you include the image with will look something like this:
<a href="http://www.chesscube.com/register/?referrer=username" target="_blank"><img src="ChessCubeImage.jpg"></a>
(Remember to change the referrer username to your username!)
Here are some images you can use on your website/blog:
ChessCube Square Logo (White)
ChessCube Square Logo (Black)
ChessCube Text Logo (White)
ChessCube Text Logo (Black)
ChessCube Warzone Tournaments
ChessCube Tournaments Banner 1
ChessCube Tournaments Banner 2
How can I get people to click on my referral link?
We recommend adding some "hooks" to your invitations instead of just sending out your referral URL. Why would someone want to visit a random site if you do not tell them what is good about it?
How can you add appealing hooks?
Simply add great reasons why others should join ChessCube. Think about a reason that would make YOU as a chess player want to join ChessCube.
"Hi friends! Here's an invitation to join me at a really great chess site! Come challenge me, or play in tournaments that are scheduled 24/7, or chat with a great community on ChessCube. Join here: (your link)"
"Hey all - come play chess with me at ChessCube.com! This is the best social chess site on the web! Registration is free - simply click here to register: (your link)".
"Hey everyone! Check out ChessCube.com! I absolutely love this site! Come join me in the best bullet chess tournaments online! Register here (your link)! See you there!"
You get the idea
Please be honest when telling others about ChessCube. We are a great site - however we do not want users joining due to false advertising or by being mislead. If you're honest and enthusiastic in your approach, others will sense that and are more likely click your link to sign up.
ChessCube reserves the right to amend, add to or change these rules and rewards at any time. We cannot anticipate all of the different ways in which some users will try to game this system to their benefit, so must be able to change the award criteria and processing in order to counter such users. If any changes are made, the updated rules will be posted here.