FAQ

Sandbagging - what is it?

<<

asif1976

Pawn

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:31 am

Re: Sandbagging - what is it?

Sansen wrote:
asif1976 wrote:I am visiting this forum for the first time. I wasn't aware about sandbagging is such a big no-no in chess cube and I have been practising the same thinking its a form of legal chess where you play judiciously to win tournaments.Today I have been banned for sandbagging. I learnt sandbagging after using chess cube for quite some time from other users thinking that it was normal practice. I believe users should be given a warning before any action is taken against them. Otherwise it gives no chance for them to be aware of this as sandbagging is very subjective and real tactical resigning can be misconstrued as sandbagging. Kindly do the needful for lifting the ban on very ignorant users about sandbagging like me who have not visited this forum. I have been ardently playing chess without other forms of cheating. So please revert the ban for ignorant people like me and punish after warning the same.

Hi asif1976,

Every user is required to know this form of cheating (sandbagging) is not acceptable. I don't think you will accept to earn a prize in which you have earned unfairly; as well as not letting others have an equal chance in the competition. Logically, resigning on purpose does not need from me or any other user to tell you its wrong, the intentions from such act is very clear.

Sandbagging is taken very seriously by chesscube, lifting the ban off your account will be an unfair act from me towards others who will also claim they did not know.

Thanks,
-Sansen

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply. I would like to take this discussion a little further wherein I put my arguments regarding sand bagging as below

i. In the case of war zone tournaments, there are cases where sandbagging is tactical in nature. For instance let us take the case of two players of equal rating being paired against two players respectively, the first being a player of equal rating or higher and the second being paired against a player of lesser rating. For the first person since he has been paired against a person of equal rating, if he wins the game, he gets more points whereas in the second case the player gets to win lesser points if he wins since he has faced an opponent of lesser rating. So this is case of unfair advantage to the first player.
To be in even keel with the first players and compete with him, the second player resigns with the hope that he would be paired with a player of higher rating in the next game. Logically this makes sense for the second player to intentionally resign as a means of competition with the first player in war-zone tournaments. Hence sandbagging in this case becomes tactical in nature. I request you to take this scenario in mind before taking any action. Expecting your kind reply Sean
<<

Sansen

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:46 am

asif1976 wrote:Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply. I would like to take this discussion a little further wherein I put my arguments regarding sand bagging as below

i. In the case of war zone tournaments, there are cases where sandbagging is tactical in nature. For instance let us take the case of two players of equal rating being paired against two players respectively, the first being a player of equal rating or higher and the second being paired against a player of lesser rating. For the first person since he has been paired against a person of equal rating, if he wins the game, he gets more points whereas in the second case the player gets to win lesser points if he wins since he has faced an opponent of lesser rating. So this is case of unfair advantage to the first player.
To be in even keel with the first players and compete with him, the second player resigns with the hope that he would be paired with a player of higher rating in the next game. Logically this makes sense for the second player to intentionally resign as a means of competition with the first player in war-zone tournaments. Hence sandbagging in this case becomes tactical in nature. I request you to take this scenario in mind before taking any action. Expecting your kind reply Sean

Hi,

Firstly, I'm not Sean, My name could be close to his but I'm not Sean ;). I'm fully aware of what you are saying. Sandbagging is clearly explained in the very first post of this thread by Sean as well as in our acceptable use policy. In our Acceptable Usage Policy, section 3, point 6:
"you cannot assist others by deliberately losing for whatever reason, including to boost their rating."

We do not make mistakes regarding Sandbaggers. If we do, we will apologize and unban the account. We take everything into consideration which includes legit resignations. So a ban will not be issued unless proven that you cheated / sandbagged.

If you would like to discuss this further, message me online.

Thanks,
-Sansen
I sometimes drift over this way,, but not very often
<<

coolsumeet

Pawn

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:52 am

great work...well done :clap:
<<

johnmay

Pawn

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Simple Forum Question..

I was just curious as to how I go about changing my password on here? Couldn't find it when I did a quick scan, thanks.
<<

Sansen

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Simple Forum Question..

johnmay wrote:I was just curious as to how I go about changing my password on here? Couldn't find it when I did a quick scan, thanks.

The password here is linked to your chesscube application password, if you would like to change your password please do so from inside the application.
<<

rrancho

Pawn

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Sansen wrote:
asif1976 wrote:Hi Sean,

Hi,

Firstly, I'm not Sean, My name could be close to his but I'm not Sean ;). I'm fully aware of what you are saying. Sandbagging is clearly explained in the very first post of this thread by Sean as well as in our acceptable use policy. In our Acceptable Usage Policy, section 3, point 6:
"you cannot assist others by deliberately losing for whatever reason, including to boost their rating."

We do not make mistakes regarding Sandbaggers. If we do, we will apologize and unban the account. We take everything into consideration which includes legit resignations. So a ban will not be issued unless proven that you cheated / sandbagged.

If you would like to discuss this further, message me online.

Thanks,
-Sansen

Haha .... guess he didnt look properly before writing Sean instead of Sansen
The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed
<<

lola4cocacola

Pawn

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:03 pm

Being banned from chess cube

I have been banned from chess cube for no reason. they say that I was swearing but I was not . I think somebody has hacked into my account because it was saying sexual things without me typing. I don't know what to do. Can somebody help me. Im U12 and I really wouldn't dream of saying anything at all like that. Please help me. Lola2cocacola
<<

Sansen

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 am

Re: Being banned from chess cube

lola4cocacola wrote:I have been banned from chess cube for no reason. they say that I was swearing but I was not . I think somebody has hacked into my account because it was saying sexual things without me typing. I don't know what to do. Can somebody help me. Im U12 and I really wouldn't dream of saying anything at all like that. Please help me. Lola2cocacola

You will need to contact [email protected]

-Sansen
<<

ruelan_albert

Pawn

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:41 am

sand bugging seems like a quite reasonable understanding thx chess cube :clap:
<<

himalayh

Knight