FAQ

error? : OFTEN disconnecting & reconnecting

<<

getodacicus

Pawn

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:26 pm

error? : OFTEN disconnecting & reconnecting

I use to play 10 minutes games. However, ChessCube automatically disconnects and reconnects me from the game several times a game (at least once every two minutes, sometimes even often). I get disconnected for only 1-2 seconds each time but this is enough to disturbing. I had also had an opponent yesterday who actually used this in his advantage: I was clearly winning, so he disconnected. Since I have got again disconnected/reconnected, the engine treat my involuntary disconnection as a resign...

I have tried two different browsers (Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome), and I was trying to play from different locations (i.e. networks). The result was the same. My computer runs Windows 7 on 64 architecture, and I firstly experimented this some time ago, without changing anything on the computer, then I have renounced playing. Now I have tried to restart and the unpleasant incidents manifested again.

My question is if there are other people experimenting the same annoying behavior, or it is something wrong with my computer.

Thanks in advance!
<<

Sansen

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: error? : OFTEN disconnecting & reconnecting

Try playing from another internet connection / isp.

Maybe there is a problem from your isp. I see no problem from chesscube's side.
I sometimes drift over this way,, but not very often
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Good afternoon,

You can try letting more cache around 100 KB should be fine, or change if you get intenet from usb to another port. It can be antivirus side too, I have seen really strange things with McAfee and norton antiviruses.

Regards Xabier.
<<

getodacicus

Pawn

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks to both of you!

@Sansen: I have already tried from other ISPs (and even from different countries), then I have posted the question.

@Xabier: I might be from the anti-virus (I use BitDefender 2011), maybe from one of its updates. However, for the moment I am reluctant to disable it...

As for the cache, it seems that I have enough, as Firefox reports (if this was what you meant):
Information about the Cache Service
Memory cache device
Number of entries: 522
Maximum storage size: 30720 KiB
Storage in use: 5635 KiB
Inactive storage: 5635 KiB

Disk cache device
Number of entries: 31136
Maximum storage size: 1048576 KiB
Storage in use: 510088 KiB

Offline cache device
Number of entries: 0
Maximum storage size: 512000 KiB
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:53 am

Good evening,

I have done a bit of research, let's see it seems that the problem is "just" with windows 7 at 64 bits, although I do not think that this is the cause of the problem. I have searched for some problems of getting disconnected often from a server, and found a page where there are people like you that get disconnected every 5-15 mins.

I will put a link you might do as http://mabination.com/archive/index.php/t-17005.html phresh sais there although noone has said that it worked for him... (I am still researching a bit)

Hm... It seems that there have been some kind of issues about windows 7 and online games getting disconnected. I hope that WC III issues may help you a bit, let's see if you can set it work in this one, http://www.lancraftwc3.com/2010/01/warc ... s-and.html

Sorry for not being of more help but I am in a Windows XP or Ubuntu OS. I do not think it is a BitDefender2011 issue.

Regards Xabier.
<<

bagarn90

Pawn

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same dis/reconnecting problem, and its quite frustrating. I dont know the cause of it either, but I do run BitDefender2011 as well so that might be a clue.. but really I have no idea haha
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Good evening bagarn90,

Have you tried to do any of the procedures I have put in both links? You could say that none of that work for you, since you do not say anything about that I will just ignore your request and do not try to help anymore by doing your work of looking at other forums for the same kind of problem since I am using Windows XP or Ubuntu and I have no problem at the moment, I have tried to help but it seems that people just tend to ignore my posts so I will just ignore questions that do not help me help other people.

Regards Xabier.

PS: Sorry if I sound harsh but today I do not mind it. I try to help but it seems that noone wants to get helped or says that thing does not work for me and so on. Have a nice day and I hope you get it to work, it would be nice if you can tell other people once you get it working how you did it or where you found the solution.

PS2: It would be nice saying that it does not work to you, that would encourage me more to help which as you say now does not really make me interested in your problem.

PS3: I suppose that the "problem" is some kind of drivers that are not updated or that are too updated but I suggest you looking at WCIII's forums since they really know more about these issues that people with windows 7 have. I personally do not really like a lot Windows 7. Lastly it could be bit defender but I do not think so. If you believe it is BitDefender2011, you can always set http://www.chesscube.com as a friendly site and let the antivirus-antispam function down for hte site in exceptions.

PS4: I think that it might be something about the 64 bit windows 7 or drivers as I have said before.
<<

getodacicus

Pawn

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi all,
Unfortunately, none of the above solutions does not work for me. It does not look like a driver problem: all drivers are constantly updated, as well as the OS.
Best,
G.
<<

xabichess

Rook

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:19 am

Good evening,

Often being updated does not really mean it is going to work better, since specially in 64 bits some of the programs does not really give a good support to 64 bit. I would just tell you to try to do a global search in google.

Do you just lose connection to chesscube or internet in general? If it is internet in general try this http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 009AAaZxKV although I do not know if it is going to work for you. Well if it is like this one you can just call it a day: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/358 ... cts-45mins .

I am just out of ideas, but you should look at online game forums since I suppose that there are a lot of people who has faced the same problem as you and some of them might have got it to work.

Regards Xabier.
<<

sweeney

Pawn

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 am

Hi guys,

I experience all sorts of problems, including the one you described when I have severe lag. If I stop all other Internet streaming programs on all computers the network, and get my lag back below 100 ms (lag bar is green), all problems go away.

What's your lag like when you have problems?

Cheers.
Sweeney
ChessCube PLAYERS MATE IN OBSCURE POSITIONS
Get the T-Shirt here http://www.cafepress.co.uk/ChessCube.550862183
Next

Return to Feature Requests, Bugs & Error Messages